SPS Choice Programs have focused themes and aligned curriculum that provides students access to unique learning opportunities driven by their passion, inquiry, and community connections. SPS Choice is choice within the public school setting. Applications for most choice programs are typically accepted during November for the next school year.
Important Dates for 2021-2022 Magnet Programs
- Nov. 2, 2020 - Fifth Grade Magnet Programs Virtual Parent Information Nights (additional details below)
- Nov. 2, 2020 - Application Window Opens
- Nov. 10, 2020 - Eighth Grade Magnet Program Virtual Parent Information Nights (additional details below)
- Dec. 2, 2020 - Application Window Closes
- Dec. 18, 2020 - Family Notification
- Jan. 4, 2021 - Student Acceptance Deadline
We are currently re-evaluating the application timeframe. More details will be shared soon.
Virtual Parent Information Nights
To learn more about our fifth grade magnet school opportunities, please participate in one or more of our virtual information night presentations on November 2.
Each program will offer a thirty minute presentation at 5, 5:30, and 6 p.m. The multiple presentation times allow each family the opportunity to hear all presentations.
To participate, simply click on the zoom links below to join in any presentation you and your family are interested in. Reminder, each presentation begins at 5, 5:30, or 6 p.m.
Academy of Fine and Performing Arts
Meeting ID: 925 8383 6939
Academy of Exploration
Meeting ID: 966 0040 8883
Meeting ID: 684 325 2015
To learn more about our eighth grade magnet school opportunity, please participate in our virtual information night presentation on November 10, 6 - 7:30 p.m.
To participate, simply click on the zoom link below to join in the presentation.
Health Sciences Academy
Meeting ID: 989 7836 3052
NOTE: Families unable to participate in the virtual information night can watch a recording of the presentation. The presentation will be made available at www.sps.org/choice within 24 hours of the presentation.
Quality assurance for current and future choice options is a district focus.
- All SPS Choice Programs are subject to a quality assurance endorsement process.
- The endorsement process includes an evaluation which takes programs through a self-reflection, on-site evaluation, and a post-evaluation feedback process.
- Programs are evaluated utilizing a rubric containing specific indicators which fall under the categories of: program design, academic success, and community connections.
- To learn more about the endorsement evaluation process and to see program results, click here.
The development of future SPS Choice programs will take into consideration the following general areas:
- Current and future stakeholder support for the proposed program.
- Accountability measurements that align with the district’s strategic plan and mission, as well as reflect the uniqueness of the proposed program.
- Facility to house proposed program (if applicable).
- Consideration of overall existing and future SPS Choice programs.
- Proposed programs have an established plan to address indicators found within the evaluation rubric.
- If you are interested in partnering with Springfield Public Schools Choice Programs, please click here to learn more.
Coordinator of Choice Programs & Student Experiences