SPS Choice Programs have focused themes and aligned curriculum that provides students access to unique learning opportunities driven by their passion, inquiry, and community connections. SPS Choice is choice within the public school setting. Applications for most choice programs are typically accepted during November for the next school year.
Transportation is currently provided for some choice magnet schools. Bus driver shortages have impacted the programs it is provided to. Students on a transfer status attending other choice programs housed within existing school sites are not eligible for transportation (International Baccalaureate, Kickapoo U, Middle College, and Parkview Leadership Academy).
Important Dates for 2022-2023 Magnet Programs
- Lottery application window is closed.
Quality assurance for current and future choice options is a district focus.
- All SPS Choice Programs are subject to a quality assurance endorsement process.
- The endorsement process includes an evaluation which takes programs through a self-reflection, on-site evaluation, and a post-evaluation feedback process.
- Programs are evaluated utilizing a rubric containing specific indicators which fall under the categories of: program design, academic success, and community connections.
- To learn more about the endorsement evaluation process and to see program results, click here.
The development of future SPS Choice programs will take into consideration the following general areas:
- Current and future stakeholder support for the proposed program.
- Accountability measurements that align with the district’s strategic plan and mission, as well as reflect the uniqueness of the proposed program.
- Facility to house proposed program (if applicable).
- Consideration of overall existing and future SPS Choice programs.
- Proposed programs have an established plan to address indicators found within the evaluation rubric.
- If you are interested in partnering with Springfield Public Schools Choice Programs, please click here to learn more.
The SPS.org website can be translated into multiple languages by selecting the required language from the translate dropdown menu at the top of the page. Information about our Choice Programs, translated into Russian, Spanish-Latin America, Vietnamese and Hakha Chin can also be found here.
Dr. Amanda Adams
Coordinator of Choice Programs & Student Experiences
Director of Choice Programs & Student Experiences