Academy of Fine and Performing Arts
Academy of Fine and Performing Arts is a unique learning environment for students to explore the world around them through the lenses of fine arts and performing arts. The curriculum will include an arts integrated approach to 5th grade standards with exposure to a variety of fine and performing arts disciplines. Program is housed at The Judith Enyeart Reynolds School of the Performing Arts for Springfield Little Theatre.
Students applying should be creative and interested in drama, theater, dance, vocal, and visual arts.
About our Teachers
Jayme Carabello - Jayme is known for her theatrics and creativity in the classroom. She taught 3rd grade at Mann Elementary for 7 years and served in many leadership roles within her building during that time. A 2013 Missouri State University graduate with a bachelors of science in elementary education, Jayme has also earned her TESOL certificate and ELL endorsement. She has also earned her masters in interdisciplinary studies. Prior to becoming a teacher, Jayme worked in many artistic realms including an events coordinator at an art gallery, photographer’s assistant, performing musician, and arts program counselor for at-risk youth. Jayme’s role at the Academy of Fine and Performing Arts blends her love for the arts and teaching.
Liza Gray - Liza's first degree was in studio art from Asbury University. After working with local arts organizations and agencies in Kentucky, she developed a dream of getting the arts into classrooms. Returning to school, she earned a bachelors and a masters degree in elementary education from Eastern Kentucky University and an educational specialist degree in leadership from Asbury University. Before joining SPS, she taught science lab, 3rd, 4th and 5th grades and worked as an administrative/instructional coach at a STEAM magnet school. At SPS she has three years experience as a classroom teacher and one year as a virtual teacher for Westport. Being a part of the Academy of Fine and Performing Arts is her dream coming to life.
Important Dates for 2021-2022 Program
- Jan. 18, 2021 - Application Window Opens
- Mar. 1, 2021 - Application Window Closes at 4:30 p.m.
- Mar. 12, 2021 - Family Notification
- Mar. 26, 2021 - Student Acceptance Deadline
- Any Springfield Public Schools (SPS) fourth-grade student, or any non-SPS fourth-grade student who lives within the SPS attendance area, is eligible to apply.
- Eligible students must have satisfactory attendance and behavior.
- Selected students will be identified through a lottery system.
- Families of selected students are responsible for transporting their child to and from school each day.
- Applications are accepted typically during November each year.