Academy of Fine and Performing Arts
Academy of Fine and Performing Arts is a unique learning environment for students to explore the world around them through the lenses of fine arts and performing arts. The curriculum will include an arts integrated approach to 5th grade standards with exposure to a variety of fine and performing arts disciplines. Program is housed at The Judith Enyeart Reynolds School of the Performing Arts for Springfield Little Theatre.
Students applying should be creative and interested in drama, theater, dance, vocal, and visual arts.
AFPA in Action
Should you apply for the Academy of Fine and Performing Arts?
- Do you enjoy drawing or sketching?
- Do you enjoy dancing, singing, or acting?
- Are you a creative thinker?
- Do you ask questions to better understand someone's perspective?
- Do you appreciate art?
- Are you interested in exploring various visual or performing arts?
- Do you express yourself through journaling or poetry?
If you selected the majority of these, then you might be a great fit.
Meet the Teachers
Jayme Carabello - Jayme is known for her theatrics and creativity in the classroom. She taught 3rd grade at Mann Elementary for 7 years and served in many leadership roles within her building during that time. A 2013 Missouri State University graduate with a bachelors of science in elementary education, Jayme has also earned her TESOL certificate and ELL endorsement. She has also earned her masters in interdisciplinary studies. Prior to becoming a teacher, Jayme worked in many artistic realms including an events coordinator at an art gallery, photographer’s assistant, performing musician, and arts program counselor for at-risk youth. Jayme’s role at the Academy of Fine and Performing Arts blends her love for the arts and teaching.
Matt James - Matt is known for his love of theater and Harry Potter. He taught 3rd grade and 5th grade at Sequiota Elementary for 5 years and served in many leadership roles within his building during that time. A 2007 Coastal Carolina University graduate with a bachelors of art in Musical Theater, Matt completed the post baccalaureate teaching program at Missouri State University and graduated with his masters of science in Elementary Education in 2021. Prior to becoming a teacher, Matt performed in Branson for 10+ years with Sight & Sound Theaters, Smoke on the Mountain, and Silver Dollar City. Matt’s role at the Academy of Fine and Performing Arts blends his love for the arts and teaching.
- Any 4th-grade SPS student or any non-SPS student who lives within the SPS attendance area are eligible to apply for their 5th-grade year.
- Eligible students must have satisfactory attendance and behavior.
- Selected students will be identified through a lottery system.
- Transportation may be provided depending on driver shortage.
- Applications are accepted November-December each year.