About Early Childhood Special Education
Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) provides services for children from ages 3–5 with significant developmental delays. Each of these children will have an Individual Education Program (IEP) which addresses their individual needs. There are ECSE classrooms at the Shining Stars Early Childhood Center, Shady Dell Early Childhood Center, and at Truman, Gray, McBride, Delaware, Weaver, and Weller elementary schools.
At this time we are unable enroll students who reside outside the SPS boundaries into the ECSE program.
Mission & Vision
Prepare all students for tomorrow by providing engaging, relevant, and personalized educational experiences today.
Educating the whole child to help them achieve their highest potential
- In providing a continuum of services and access to a wide range of learning opportunities, activities, settings, and environments. Our goal is to provide integrated learning activities and environments for young children with disabilities and to provide these experiences in the least restrictive environment.
- The growth and development of all children is maximized in a setting that is supportive of each child’s individual efforts and abilities.
- Parents and families are to be their child’s first and foremost teacher and an integral part of the ECSE program
- Diversity is celebrated and the talents and strengths of each child are recognized and nourished.
- In providing a supportive environment that fosters development at a pace appropriate to each individual child and where children can explore and initiate their own learning.
- In providing an environment that reinforces and celebrates the child’s developmental accomplishments and guides the practice of newly acquired skills.
- In providing supports which emphasize a variety of learning materials, an enriched and responsive language environment, quality research-based literacy experiences, technology and resource materials for staff, parents, and the community.
- In promoting a positive behavioral support system to build self esteem, self confidence, and the ability to make appropriate choices and decisions. This enhances a child’s ability to form positive social relationships with other children and adults and increases their ability to become caring, dependable, and responsible learners.
Early Childhood Special Education
2525 W College Rd
Springfield, MO 65802
(417) 523-7795 FAX
Special Education Services
1610 E Sunshine St
Springfield, MO 65804
(417) 523-7595 FAX