SPS Choice Programs have focused themes and aligned curriculum which provides students access to unique learning opportunities driven by their passion, inquiry, and community connections. SPS Choice is choice within the public school setting. Applications for most choice programs are typically accepted during November for the next school year.
Choice Expansion & Quality Assurance
Planning and quality assurance for current and future choice options is a district focus. Additional requests for programs increases the need for an application process and set of parameters to guide future SPS Choice programs.
The development of future SPS Choice programs will take into consideration the following general areas:
- Current and future stakeholder support for the proposed program.
- Accountability measurements which align with the district’s strategic plan and mission, as well as reflect the uniqueness of the proposed program.
- Facility to house proposed program (if applicable) currently maintains a learning environment conducive to the success of the proposed program or budgeted and board-approved funds to address building enhancements.
- Consideration of overall existing and future SPS Choice programs as related to location and focus as to maximize the accessibility of SPS Choice to students interested in participation.
- Proposed programs meet quality assurance metrics in place to assess the program’s success and to determine future support.
- Quality assurance metrics will be implemented through the evaluation of current magnet school programs and will lead into the evaluation of other SPS choice programs. Through the self-evaluation, SPS will be able to clearly identify choice programs who meet the expectations of what a choice program in SPS is and will aid in the expansion of choice across the district.
Coordinator of Choice Programs & Student Experiences
Coordinator of Summer Learning & Student Experiences