Sunshine Elementary - Progress as Promised
In April 2019, Springfield voters approved Proposition S which enables Springfield Public Schools to make facility improvements to a number of schools, including renovating and expanding Sunshine Elementary School. SPS investing $13.89 million into Sunshine Elementary will:
- Address accessibility and security challenges.
- Add a safe room gymnasium.
- Allow up to 350 to be served at the Sunshine site.
The estimated timeline for construction is to begin August 2019 with completion expected by August 2020.
- The new construction for the expansion of Sunshine Elementary will occur while students are onsite in the current building.
- Renovation of the current Sunshine facility will be scheduled during student breaks (spring, winter, and summer breaks) to minimize disruption to learning.
Information concerning impact to pick-up and drop-off procedures, due to the construction, will be shared before the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year.
The Sunshine attendance boundary will be adjusted, upon completion of construction, resulting in:
- Moving entire Portland Elementary population to Sunshine location (effective 2020-2021 school year).
- Moving 80-100 current Sunshine students to the new Delaware facility (effective 2020-2021 school year.