Sunshine Elementary - Progress as Promised
In April 2019, Springfield voters approved Proposition S which enables Springfield Public Schools to make facility improvements to a number of schools, including renovating and expanding Sunshine Elementary School. SPS investing $13.89 million into Sunshine Elementary will:
- Address accessibility and security challenges.
- Add a safe room gymnasium.
- Allow up to 350 to be served at the Sunshine site.
The estimated timeline for construction is to begin August 2019 with completion expected by August 2020.
- The new construction for the expansion of Sunshine Elementary will occur while students are onsite in the current building.
- Renovation of the current Sunshine facility will be scheduled during student breaks (spring, winter, and summer breaks) to minimize disruption to learning.
Beginning Sept. 3, 2019, the north driveway will be the only entrance and exit for traffic into and out of the parking lot. This traffic pattern will last approximately four weeks.
- Only one driveway will be used to enter and exit the parking lot. Be willing to take turns.
- Expect delays.
- Buses will be in the same traffic line. Please allow them space to make wide turns in and out of the parking lot.
On August 29, 2019 at 10 a.m., a groundbreaking ceremony was held at Sunshine Elementary celebrating the renovation and expansion of the facility.
Information concerning impact to pick-up and drop-off procedures, due to the construction, will be shared before the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year.
The Sunshine attendance boundary will be adjusted, upon completion of construction, resulting in:
- Moving entire Portland Elementary population to Sunshine location (effective 2020-2021 school year).
- Moving 80-100 current Sunshine students to the new Delaware facility (effective 2020-2021 school year.