Before- or After-School Care for K-12 SPS Students
We're partnering with multiple Springfield organizations to provide before/after-school care and academic support for SPS K-12 students.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Springfield, SPARC, Springfield Dream Center, YMCA, East Grand Community Services and The Salvation Army will help SPS students SHINE.
Note: Online enrollment for East Grand Community Services and The Salvation Army will not be available until later.
SHINE Partner Updates
Boys & Girls Clubs of Springfield
Boys & Girls Clubs of Springfield will begin offering before- and after-school programming on Thursday, Aug. 25. The first day of the 2022-2023 school year is Monday, Aug. 22.
Registration for Boys & Girls Clubs of Springfield begins Monday, July 18.
Scholarships are available for those who qualify, thanks to the SPS SHINE Fund. In 2022-2023, the SHINE Fund will continue to provide scholarships to cover before- or after-school care costs for students eligible for free or reduced price meals as funding and space allow.
In July, you may apply for a SHINE scholarship based on your child's F/R meal status from last school year. When you register for SHINE, provide your 2021-2022 F/R documentation to your SHINE provider.
Once the 2022-2023 F/R application is available online (late July/early August), you may submit your new application, which is typically processed within 48 hours of submission. Paper applications submitted to the school office are typically processed within 10 business days. SPS will send an email to parents when the online application for 2022-2023 opens.
In most cases, SHINE scholarships will be available for afternoon care for students who attend Tier 1 and Tier 2 schools. For students who attend Tier 3 schools, SHINE scholarships are available for morning care, except for Jarrett Middle School, which will offer scholarships for the after-school session.
Goals for SHINE
- Consistent, effective academic supports for all SPS before/after care providers.
- Remove barriers to access to before/after school care for the most under-resourced and under-performing SPS students.
- Support SPS families with quality before/after school care.
- Partner with current wraparound partners to develop and implement a consistent care plan.
Why Before/After School?
- Support student achievement by providing students with additional time for learning and extra help needed.
- Ensure child safety by partnering to offer families a safe place for children to learn both during and beyond the school day, allowing parents to return to work or take time to seek employment.
- Address student mental health by connecting young people with caring mentors who are trained to help them succeed at school and at home.
- Fight childhood hunger by providing meals and snacks for students.
SHINE and the SHINE Fund are made possible by $3.4 million in Coronavirus Relief Funds (ESSER II).
For questions regarding SHINE, contact your school's SHINE Partner.
Boys & Girls Clubs of Springfield: 417-862-9249 x100 email@example.com
Dream Center: 417-720-1065 firstname.lastname@example.org
SPARC: 417-837-5737 email@example.com
YMCA: 417-862-7456 YMCASAS@orymca.org
East Grand Community Services: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Salvation Army: 417-862-5509