On September 22, 2020, the Board of Education approved the recommendation to utilize Decision Support Group, LLC for consultant services assisting with a workgroup for the transportation expansion for high school students to reduce the qualifying distance from 3.5 miles to 1.5 miles, and increase services for students attending magnet schools.
Expand ridership access for students in grades 9-12, and magnet program access while limiting increased financial demands on the District. The workgroup recommendation should increase riding eligibility by reducing the current barrier for high school students from 3.5 to 1.5 miles, and increase transportation services for students attending magnet schools. Administration will provide information to the workgroup to form a recommendation that includes the following:
- Deployment of a third tier of bus pick-up and drop off times
- Recommended start and end times for each school campus or program
- Recommended grade levels to be included in each transportation tier
- Outline the projected impact on the academic program for students
- Outline the projected impact on before/after school programs, extra-curricular programming, etc.
- Outline the impact on students, parents/guardians, district employees, community, etc.
- Be implemented at a cost not to exceed $1.5 million in new operational costs.
- Define additional capital investments (buses, parking lots, drop-off lanes, etc.)
- Outline a recommended timeline for implementation and communication
Board Approves Transportation Expansion
During its Feb. 9, 2021 meeting, the SPS Board of Education approved the transportation expansion recommendation. The expansion of services will change the eligibility criteria for high school students from 3.5 miles to 1.5 miles and provide transportation services for students attending magnet schools. This will include the addition of a third tier for transportation services where:
- High schools and selected elementary schools are in the first tier.
- Elementary schools and other specialized programs are in the second tier.
- Middle schools are in the third tier.
Learn more here.