FBI Highway Patrol Background Check for Screened Volunteers
The district shall conduct, at district expense while budget allows, an FBI Highway Patrol background check and Family Care Safety registration on all volunteers including those who have supervisory responsibility for children at a school site or on school-sponsored trips.
As used in State Statute 168.133, a screened volunteer shall mean any person who assists a school by providing uncompensated service and who may periodically be left alone with students. The school district shall ensure that a criminal background check is conducted for all screened volunteers, who shall complete the criminal background check prior to being left alone with a student. Screened volunteers include, but are not limited to, persons who regularly assist in the office or library, mentor or tutor students, coach or supervise a school-sponsored activity before or after school, or chaperone students on an overnight trip. Screened volunteers may only access student education records when necessary to assist the district and while supervised by staff members. Volunteers that are not screened shall not be left alone with a student or have access to student records.
Become an SPS Volunteer
Complete the volunteer application. Once you submit your application, watch for follow-up emails. If you are interested in volunteering at more than one site, please check all sites on the volunteer application that apply.
- An approved background check is valid for all sites.
- New volunteer applications are required each school calendar year beginning July 1.
- Here is the step by step process you will need to follow to begin the background check process. If you are unable to reach the site volunteer coordinator during July and August please reach out to Amy Patton at 417-523-0230.
- Background checks typically process in 4-7 business days.
- When you have completed both parts of the process, fingerprints and family care safety registry, an email will notify you of your approval status and your ability to begin volunteering.
- If you have questions please contact Amy Patton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 417-523-0230.