Health Sciences Academy
The Health Sciences Academy is a unique learning opportunity housed within Mercy Hospital Springfield for 50 of Springfield Public Schools’ eighth-grade students. Students spend their year at Mercy in specially-designed, state-of-the-art-classroom facilities, using health care as the lens for problem-based learning. Students explore different careers, learn from professionals in the medical field, and implement projects to impact the health of our community.
Health Sciences Academy in Action
Should I apply for HSA?
- Are you interested in the medical field?
- Do you like to work with others to solve real-world problems?
- Do you like to give back to the community?
- Do you want to learn about different careers?
- Do you like meeting new people?
- Do you enjoy science, reading, and/or math?
- Do you enjoy learning from experts?
If you, selected many of these, you might be an excellent fit for HSA.
Meet the Teachers
Mr. Matt Bills
ELA, Social Studies & Health
Mr. Ryan O'Dell
Math, Science & Health
Apply in the Fall for the next school year.
- Any current 7th-grade SPS student or any non-SPS student who lives within the SPS attendance area is eligible to apply for their 8th-grade year.
- Eligible students must have satisfactory attendance and behavior.
- Selected students will be identified through a lottery system.
- Transportation may be provided depending on driver shortage.
- Applications are accepted November-December each year.
Mrs. Kelsey Brabo
Director of Choice Programs & Student Experiences
Dr. Amanda Adams
Coordinator of Choice Programs & Student Experiences