The Office of Equity & Diversity is committed to educational equity and ensuring that the learning and working environment at Springfield Public Schools is welcoming, accessible and affirming of all identities and lived experiences. Access is vital to the success of students at Springfield Public Schools, and an important aspect of the work done by the Equity & Diversity Team.
The vision of the Office of Equity & Diversity is the pursuit of excellence in educational equity and transformative initiatives to enhance the climate and culture of students, staff and the broader community.
What our office does:
The Office of Equity & Diversity works in collaboration with Equity Champions in every building to support students, staff and families to build capacity around areas of equity, diversity, identity, accessibility and justice. As a way to focus on diverse student populations in SPS, the Office of Equity & Diversity use the terms "underrepresented and under-resourced students" which are defined as, but not limited to
- Students of Color in terms of domestic and international racial and ethnic identities
- Students with Disabilities
- English Language Learners
- LGBTQ+ Students
- Students who receive FREE and REDUCED Lunch
- Students who receive McKinney-Vento Services
- Students from diverse religious backgrounds and belief systems