Dear SPS families:
During the April 12 Board of Education meeting, an update on transportation for the 2022-2023 school year was presented. The presentation reflects recommendations based on feedback from SPS families and staff that was collected earlier this school year.
SPS evaluated the feedback and possible changes that would address the hardships identified. The following modifications will help SPS provide transportation next school year to the largest number of students given the current staffing and funding limitations:
Start and Dismissal Times
The three-tier structure will be adjusted as follows:
- Tier 1: 7:20 a.m.-2:20 p.m.
- Tier 2: 8:10 a.m.-3:10 p.m.
- Tier 3: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Schools Assigned to Tiers
- Tier 1: 20 elementary schools, two K-8 schools and one intermediate school
- Tier 2: All high schools, 10 elementary schools and early childhood special education center
- Tier 3: All middle schools and two K-8 schools
Students who attend elementary, intermediate and K-8 schools must live 1.5 miles or more from school to be eligible for transportation. Middle school and high school students must live 2.5 miles or more from school to be eligible.
Note: All proposed changes are pending board approval and will not take effect until August 2022. Current routing and times will continue through the remainder of the current school year.