SPS Recipe from Chef Kyle: Charcuterie, Fruit and Cheese Board
A big trend you might be hearing about is the “charcuterie board”. The mystery is on what that is and how to do it will hopefully be cleared with this month’s recipe.
One of my favorite after school snacks when I was a kid was summer sausage and crackers, and folks, that is charcuterie! Going deeper, chefs explain charcuterie as "the art of preserving and curing meats," but once you add fruit and cheese, you have a complete after-school snack!
Below, you will find two recipes. One to put the tray together, and the other for SPS Catering’s Garlic Parmesan Cheese Spread (pictured on the tray in the crystal glass).
Tip: Avoid expensive meat and cheese prices by purchasing at your local grocery store deli counter. Enjoy!
SPS Charcuterie, Fruit and Cheese Board
1. Arrange the French Bread (Cut into Slices) on a wooden board in a line
2. Arrange the Muenster Cheese (Cut into Squares) in a line
3. Arrange the Provolone (Sliced and Cut into Quarters) in a line
4. Arrange the Smoked Gouda (Sliced and Cut into Quarters) in a line
5. Hard Salami (Sliced and Cut into Quarters) in a line
6. Place the cluster of Red Seedless Grapes in one corner of the board
7. Place the Fresh Strawberries (Cut in Half) near the grapes
8. Place the Fresh Black Plums (Pitted, Cut into Quarters) in a line
9. Place the Fresh Yellow Peaches (Pitted, Cut into Slices) on top of the plums
10. Find a spot for the Cherry Tomatoes, Triscuits, and XL Milk Chocolate Bar
11. Place the SPS Garlic Parmesan Cheese Spread in a small dish and find a spot
12. Serve immediately or same day and impress everyone!
SPS Garlic Parmesan Cheese Spread
Chef Kyle Houston is Nutrition Services Executive Chef at Springfield Public Schools. Prior to joining the Nutrition Services team in 2021, Chef Kyle was a lead chef at The Keeter Center at College of the Ozarks. Now, he supports, trains and equips Nutrition Services team members in school dining rooms across Springfield to serve high-quality food to Springfield students. Join the Nutrition Services team.