Academy of Exploration
Academy of Exploration offers a unique learning environment for fifth grade students to explore the world around them through multiple lenses of science and exploration. In partnership with the Discovery Center, the Academy of Exploration is currently housed at the Discovery Center in two specialized classrooms with opportunities to use the many learning tools and exhibits within the center. Two teachers facilitate learning for a total of 40 students through curriculum with a focus on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). Their school day begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends at 3:30 p.m.
- Any Springfield Public Schools (SPS) fourth-grade student, or any non-SPS fourth-grade student who lives within the SPS attendance area, is eligible to apply.
- Eligible students must have satisfactory attendance and behavior.
- Selected students will be identified through a lottery system.
- Transportation may be provided depending on driver shortage.
- Applications are accepted November-December each year.