Watkins Vision Statement
Watkins Elementary, located in northwest Springfield, was constructed in 1951. The school was named after Tom Watkins, a local banker and school board member. The following is a history of the school's development:
- 1951 6 rooms, multipurpose room. 16,174 sq. ft.
- 1963 First addition of 2 classrooms. 2,223 sq. ft.
- 1965 Second addition of 2 classrooms. 2,870 sq. ft.
- 1988 Third addition of a learning resource center, 6 classrooms and a Kindergarten classroom. 11,708 sq.ft.