About Our School
York Elementary will uphold the commitment to raise student achievement utilizing collaboration of staff and students addressing the researched-based best practices in the educational process. York Elementary will continue to be a leader in developing technologically confident students.
York Elementary School, located in northwest Springfield, was constructed in 1911. It was named after William York, a disabled Civil War veteran, who circulated a petition in the fall of 1910 requesting the construction of a school in that area. The following is a timeline of the school's development.
1911: Original building was 8, 459 sq. ft. consisting of four classrooms and one basement room.
1923: Annexed into Springfield Public Schools R-12 District
1930: Addition of 7,782 sq. ft. including five classrooms and restrooms.
1954: Addition of 11, 061 sq. ft. consisting of four classrooms and a multipurpose room.
1967: Addition of 4,153 sq. ft. for two kindergarten classrooms and one regular classroom.
1991: Addition of a learning resource center and two classrooms.