About Our School
The Mission at Bissett Elementary is "Learning Today, Leading Tomorrow".
The original Bissett Elementary was built in 1925 at 1535 North Golden Street, which is now the home of Homeland Baptist Church. Bissett is named after Mrs. Emma Bissett for her hard work in getting a school for the northwest area of the school district and a member of the Springfield Board of Education for six years, 1924-1930.. In 1950, due to increased enrollment, a new school was constructed at the current location, 3014 West Calhoun Street.Bissett Elementary School opened up on Calhoun street in the year 1950-1951.
We are a small neighborhood school of less than 300 students in the northwest corner of Springfield. Our students enjoy an atmosphere that radiates a feeling of caring and warmth where the qualities of good citizenship are taught and demonstrated to provide a safe, respectful, and nurturing environment. We believe that collaboration with various groups helps make a positive difference in the lives of our students. Our students are instructed by the use of researched-based methods which are known to be the best educational practices. We use a workshop model for Literacy and Numeracy, which ensures teachers are differentiating to meet our students' needs. Teachers use integrated units to personalize learning for students. We have one-to-one technology for students in grades 3-5. Our K-2 students have IPads and weekly lesssons on chromebooks.
The school, staff and community offer a welcoming culture to all. Highly qualified and dedicated staff members make Bissett a caring place where our students are supported, encouraged, and accomplishments are celebrated.